Saturday, July 12, 2008

Day 14

Ok, this is the second "Day 14" because I skipped over Day 11. I posted on it, but called it Day 12. Hopefully, Erin gets both her looks and brains from her Mom.

Erin is doing really well today. When I arrived, her oxygen sats were 90, the highest they have been since going off the PGE. The entire day she has hovered in the mid to upper 80's, except when sleeping. Babies breathe more shallowly during deep sleep, causing the sat level to dip. Her blood gases have been excellent as well.

During the night, her arterial line was removed, so we have one less line to worry about. We are really happy about this one, as it was fragile and required a great deal of care whenever she was moved. In addition, her head monitor is coming off when she awakes from her afternoon nap.

She is eating whatever she wants now, and took 85 ml this am. We spent three hours hanging this morning, and she was awake most of the time. I was holding her while Sheila was off pumping, and Erin had a very large, very noisy bowel movement. It was so large that it shook her entire body. She was so startled that her eyes snapped wide open. I laughed so hard I thought I was going to drop her. Then I remembered that I now had to change this diaper. No sooner did I have it changed and had us both re-seated when she rewarded me with a second effort. Yesterday, we were concerned that she wasn't going enough. Maybe we shouldn't have been so concerned!

1 comment:

david sabin said...

Wow, she is beautiful. We thank you for the daily comments. Maybe it is time to offer Erin a great cabernet. We can not wait until she comes to Napa.

Love to you all.

David and Susan