Friday, July 4, 2008

Day 6 - final update

Tonight was the best yet. After yet another dinner at John Barleycorn, Sheila went home to rest and I went back to spend a few minutes more with Erin. Her new night nurse Haley decided that Erin needed a bath, and that I would give it to her. First, we needed to change her diaper and my streak of poop free diapers came to a glorious end. Man...that stuff is foul. And green. I of course got it everywhere even though I was trying to be extremely careful. Erin wasn't too happy about how long I took to clean her up, either. A poor effort all the way around.

To get her ready for her bath, we took off all of her gear. It was great to see the real Erin after seeing her hidden under so much gauze, monitors, and wires. I weighed her on the scale, and then bathed her. You would have thought I was performing her heart surgery without the benefit of anesthesia, given how she screamed bloody murder throughout. Once the bath was over, though, you would have thought we had sedated her. We dressed her in a cute outfit, making her look like a little girl for the first time. She was then swaddled up into a football shape, and given to me to hold.

The entire time I held her she was the most mellow she has been at any time I have seen her. She was wide awake, taking everything in, and licking her lips and sticking out her tongue over and over. I held her and rocked her for about 45 minutes, and then put her in her bed. She was in no hurry to go to sleep, and continued to just mellow out for another 45 minutes in the same manner as when I held her. She never made a peep the entire time, she was so relaxed. She finally got to sleep just before 10 pm.

Yep...the best yet.

No comments: